Monday, July 22, 2013

New investigator

 Buna Frumosilor! (Hey Beautifuls!) ha 
How is everyone doing!? Can you believe that it is July 22nd 2013.... I cant not believe it! This month is going crazy fast.
              This week has been an interesting week.. ha i think every week in Romanian in interesting! ha honestly never a boring day! So at the first of the week we set up with this lady from the area book and we were super excited to meet with her.. she sounded so nice! Well we got there and she really likes the missionaries... but she is super catholic.... ha ends up we found another page of her teaching record and missionaries have been trying here for years... so we just had a nice little chat and she tried making us drink this coffee stuff... ughh so gross... she was like "its not coffee.... I know you guys can't drink coffee.." Well it looked like coffee and she wanted us to add milk and sugar to it... so it was for sure coffee... I just prayed that some how the coffee would disappear in front of us... Sometimes people get very offended when you don't eat or drink their food... Well Heavenly Father had our backs... We some how manage to escape with out having to drink it... We apologized for not drinking it and she was like "o it was my fault I kept you girls talking..." yes prayers are answered! 
         We also visited with one of our less actives and it was so much fun. We taught her the word of wisdom and after she like... o sad that is the whole lesson... ha so she told us to throw on some aprons and cook and eat dinner with her! It was so much fun! I have some pictures from it! 
          FUNNY STORY... ok so this story wins... I mean... I sound ridiculous but it was so funny... so one day this week I was feeling a little bit discouraged... ALL of our lessons fell through for the day.... I still can't speak this language perfectly not even close to perfect... waiting for transfer boards... blah blah blah... anyways... so for companionship study we decide to go sit out on the beach and talk as we watched the waves... This random guy comes up to us and ask if we will take a picture of him... ha We must of looked confused or mad or something because he was like -  sorry... why are you guys mad?" ha We are just not used to random people wanting to come talk to us... so we took the picture and he sits down next to us... He starts asking us all sorts of questions... long story short .... we taught him the plan of salvation and the restoration... We invited him to church! It was so cool... ha He was 22 and he did ask us out on a date for that night afterwards.. but still is was really fun... Well keep in mind I was having a vent session before he got there so I had makeup around my eyes... well Romanians are so blunt.. he was like "What were you guys talking about before I got here... Were you crying?" I was like "yes... man I am super embarrassed... I can't speak Romanian I was just venting" and he was like... "you can tell me in English why you were upset... I can kind of understand." I was like no I mean I am upset because I cant speak Romanian really well.... He was like "What are you talking about-- You speak perfect!" ha super funny... maybe it was a you had to be there kind of thing but super funny... 
          We went branch contacting again this week in the center of constanta... it was really fun! super hot though.. we were all sweating to death. It was really funny because we were all singing and one of the ward members said "man no one is stopping and listening to us... we need to go somewhere else... everyone says they are not interested.." ha We just looked at him and shrugged and said "Welcome to Romania Missionary Work":) ha but we ended up talking to some cool people and so it was really fun.. Also another random Romanian thing.. they dont drink Cold drinks because they think it makes them sick.. they don"t drink with ice here... and it is hard to find a nice cold drink! ha anyways so we asked a member to sing with us and he was like "no I can't sing.. I have a sore throat... every summer this happens... because I drink cold drinks..." ha Sora Rivera and I were laughing super hard... because we had to be serious and agree with him.. haha 
           So you know how I needed you to send me minute to win it games...Well we had our branch activity this week and IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! Seriously everyone was laughing and having a good old time.. our branch president was doing all the games and making sure that he was winning... you know the game where you tie the tissue box to you and it has ping pong balls and you shake them out... ha we did that game!! and o my word... I was dying... the videos.. o the videos are priceless... hahahahaha everyone loved it! We are all going to make some pretty good ward activity directors! ha It was really sad though.. the next day and church we have no idea what happened.. Only 8 members were there and 6 missionaries... it was crazy... maybe because it was raining they didnt come?? I have no idea.. we usually have a good solid 15-20... It will be better next week! :) 
      NEW INVESTIGATOR! So we were able to get a new investigator yesterday!! She is great! She just married a member one year ago and he is really active! So we started meeting with her this week! We did the 10 points of teaching and I asked her if she knew these things were true would she be baptized and......... SHE SAID YES!! wahoo.... small minor problem... She is Jewish... legit from Israel... She is not sure exactly who Jesus Christ is... But We gave her some good chapters to read in the Book of Mormon and to pray and she said she would!! She is super open and we are excited to meet with her next week!! :) yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Our other investigator with the boyfriend is still doing great.. she came to church yesterday and she was so excited because she works at a hotel and people were there from Washington... Well they asked her where she learned english and she was like "my friends the mormon missionaries.." I guess the family was surprised that we had missionaries here... ha She is basically already spreading the gospel! We love her! And Andreea is still rock solid... baptism September 21st! hopefully I am still her in Constanta!! :) 
    I also need to give a shout out to my mission president! I love President and Sora Hill. This was in our last weeks newsletter from him...
“We've had another week with all zeros. Our lessons didn't work out and we weren't able to find any people that were interested in the truth yet, but we are still looking. Should we be worried about our low numbers?”
ANSWER: I'm so sorry that your planned lessons didn’t work out.  That, unfortunately, happens a lot to missionaries--probably all over the world.  Just one of the "occupational hazards" of our assignment!  We just pick ourselves up off the floor of despair and move forward!  I know you're trying so hard!  And some weeks you don't even have any "Key Indicators" to report that except zeros!  But, never fear, I was a Germany missionary and I fully understand the challenges of România/Moldova missionaries!!  You never have to explain low numbers to me.  I know you're working hard and often have "nothing to show" for your efforts--except those unreportable "touches" that might someday pay dividends. Just keep trying.  Never give up.  Never, ever give up!
He is so great isn't he!! honestly I am so thankful to be in this mission! I am so happy to be a missionary! it is the best thing in the world! I know that this gospel is true! I have seen it change peoples lives here in Romania! and it is for sure changing mine! I love it here! Have a great week! I love you all so so so much!! 
Cu mare mare mare drag, 
                Sora Abby Polatis mmwwaaauuhhh! 


power lines down--typical

all apron'ed" up and cooking

we are still together--Sis Rivera

our plan of salvation poster we teach with outside

us looking at transfers--happy in the back is going HOME

Our branch pres.

Win it in a minute games with the Branch

Branch Pres couldn't believe that he could get the cookie in his eye!



No comments:

Post a Comment