Monday, July 8, 2013

Great 4th of July


Buna Ziua! Dragele Mele!  

I love being a missionary... honestly even though sometimes it is super hard.. I can't help to smile and be really happy when I think of all the cool things that are happening to me on a daily basis. I just have some random stories for this week... 
It is a huge deal that more sisters are coming to Romania!!! We are getting 18 new sisters which is DOUBLING THE SISTERS in the mission... so you know what that means... I will be training.. but not only that... sisters will be opening new cities all over Romanian.. there are a few cities with just Elders in them.. but not anymore! We will be everywhere! the rest of my mission will be crazy!! :) 

I cant remember if I already told you guys this but one day I was getting ready and I turned around and I almost stepped on a cockroach! Ah I jumped about 2 feet in the air and screamed... Ah Sora!!!! Well then I just grabbed a jar out of the cupboard and placed it on top of the bug... well then the next night we got home from Buc and we found that the bug was still in the jar... well then we both let out a sigh of relief and then shut the door and... AH! ANOTHER ONE! We were then both freaking out and jumping up and down... so we then got another jar and placed it on top of that one... We set them out side of our door and the person that cleans the stairs took care of them for us! :) anyways I was just dying of laughter because I can only imagine what Sarah has to deal with and I was literally freaking out over 2 cockroaches... haha
We had a lesson with one of our investigators.. she is 24 years old-- living with her boyfriend... but she is so cool. She was walking with us after the lesson- which went super well by the way... and she was like "I dont know if you guys realize this but you are very different.. I feel so good when I am around you both.. you are so nice... I have felt like something has been missing in my life.. but now that I am with you both I feel like I am finding it... I feel like Joseph Smith as I am searching for the truth!" Amazing right?? I am was stoked! Smiling from ear to ear.. now if we could just get rid of that orthodox boyfriend.. ha just kidding we are trying to meet with him.. he is a little more stubborn but we are not giving up! 
Well on Tuesday night we got to go to bucarest for our big zone conference. On the bus ride there Elder Taylor and I were able to talk to this couple about the gospel for a while it was so cool we were able to give them a Book of Mormon card and we explained all about it. The wife was super nice... it was just really cool- they were actually on their way back to Norway. But it was super cool. Then we got to buc and there was this lady who had this big bag she was pulling through the metrou.. I stopped and asked her if I could help her- of course she was like.. no no its fine. Well we then ended up getting off and the same stop as her and there was a lot of stairs to climb up so I was like " Are you sure you don't want my help?" ha she then agreed to let Sora Rivera and I help her with her bags... She said thank you and then we started going on our way... then she went the opposite direction.. as we were walking I remembered that there was another set of stairs for her to go up... I told Rivera we have to go help her so we run to the other side of the metrou and I catch the end of her bag as she was trying to lug it up the stairs.. she just turns and looks and us and asked who we were and then she was like... "I knew you guys must have been sent from God." Super cool! I love giving service! 
The next day was our big zone conference.. AMAZING! we first had our sisters meeting and it was so good.. it was focused on the talk by Elder Holland "the other prodigal" It was kind of talking about how the older son was upset because his parents were so happy that his little brother came back home after he had messed up so much. The dad then explained that everything that he owned was his - He was just happy his rebellious son returned... He gave him a ring and the fattest calf... but the older brother did not stop and realize that he had a drawer full of rings and ALL of the calves in the field belong to him. It was so amazing.. I recommend reading it! So so good! We are just all trying to do our best and we cant be upset because God is so merciful and loving to ALL of His children. It was so cool! After that we then had our big meeting where Sora Rivera and I presented! o man.. It was so so Good! everyone loved it! we just had so much fun... we demonstrated how to do a bad job contacting... so we were just walking around talking about boys and people writing us and then we were just like tossing cards around with out really talking to anyone.. ha then we dressed up President Hill and taught people how to do it right! and they fed us home made cafe rio salads! I was in Heaven! And that day I also received a package from Heather Martin Wright.. it was so so so cute! She had this poem and the package was filled with all of these cute things about our past life together and she did it for my half way mark.. it was so cute .. she was like "This is for a celebration that you are almost half way back to me!" ha I love Heather!
We also were able to go contacting with members in our branch this week. Our Branch President is so so cool! We had this big set up for it and everything... I will attach some pictures of it. It was so much fun -- We were singing and talking to everyone that passed. It was crazy though our branch President tried talking to some lady and she was like "You people are DANGEROUS." and she walked away?? ha I started laughing.. literally everyone in my district is so young looking and we were singing hymns and inviting people to church... ha o Romania....
And then we had a Lesson with Andreea who has baptisimal date it September 21st! I dont know if guys remember her but i taught her when I was here in January! She is so so so solid! She just has a summer job that she wants to finish before she is baptized so she can come to church after... but we went through some of the baptisimal questions with her and she was like I dont just believe these things.. I KNOW that this is the true church! Her older sister was baptized in January so it is so cool... I hope that I am still here for it! She has already gone through all the seminary courses and everything.. She is a reason why missionaries are in Romania!
My English class is so much fun that I teach this transfer! It is four little girls and their mothers! They are so cute and they love all the games that we have them play! Yesterday they brought us big bouquets of flowers! So sweet! They love our sprititual thoughts. and the mother was reading through the plan of salvation packet! so... we are excited to see if we can start teaching them! 
Another cool story.. sorry this is so long... but ok.. so I was at the library the other day and I really felt strong to invite the secretary lady to english.. I think we had already invited her before but I thought - why not again- So she took the card and just kind of set it down on the desk... I followed the prompting right? ok so then a couple days later we get a call from a guy.. He speaks English and the librarian lady gave him the card and said to call us because we are americans that could teach him Romanian. So he came to church on Sunday!!!!! He was like "ya it was really lucky.. because I got the last card on the desk!" little did he know that there was only that one card on the desk.. just for him! he is a way cool investigator now! God is so so aware of us! amazing! Also we had 2 of our less actives we have been working with and an investigator at church!!! wahoo!!! So so cool 
! I hope that all is going well with you! I love this gospel and the great adventure that I am on! seriously what a fun roller coaster ride I am on!!! The church is true! have a great week! read your scriptures! :) 
cu drag, Sora Abby Polatis 


package from Heather --my pal

my new name tag so people can say my name!

Weird concrete things next to the Black Sea


Yeah--American car on the 4th of July!!

red, white and blue for the 4th


This is American month at the supermarket--peanut butter and marshmallows

street teaching!!

Our super big Book of Mormon!! 

our Enlish Class

No comments:

Post a Comment