Thursday, November 14, 2013


Well first I just want to say thanks for all the prayers, and thoughts! We survived the storm and we are alright! We are currently in Bacolod right now because we have training tomorrow! Still in Victorias we don't have electricity and we just barely got a slow stream of running water! So even that is a blessing! We were having to go to the Bumba and pump our water 2 times a day, for showering in the morning and at night! I actually am super humbled and it it probably something that I will never forget! People really live without running water and most of the time electricity and get along with life just fine! It is amazing! But I will start from the first of the week.
I had my first MCL last week! It was pretty awesome! We just had trainings from President and Sister Lopez as well as the AP's! So after the training we went back to our area and worked! Wednesday of last week we had our Zone training! It was fun! Sister Libria and I trained on using the Book of Mormon more effectively and on Listening better! 
Thursday we were preparing for the day and we got a text saying to spend the day preparing for the storm and not to really go out! So we went and got drinking water, made sure we had food, we didn't really know what to get! It kind of weird preparing yourself for something you don't really expect to happen! But we came back to our apartment and President was texting us keeping us all updated on what was happening!.......well nothing happened! Ha Thursday was fine!
Friday, well we got up and it was crappy weather outside so we knew it was coming and we were advised to stay in again today, HOLY CABIN FEVER!! I think i read everything I had! We got a text saying that our area and Cadiz was going to be the hardest hit on our Island! So that is when we got a little nervous! It was super windy but luckily not to much rain! You could hear the tin flying outside! I was super nervous for all of our members and  investigators! Our kitchen floor got wet but mostly because the door doesn't shut all the way so that was about it for damage to our house! Our landlord came over and showed us where the closest bumba was for pumping water!
Saturday we went out, So much damage! Telephone poles in the road and what not! But we went out for clean up! We first went to Ana Liza, our investigators house, we thought for sure it would be destroyed because it is really just bamboo and there isnt anything surrounding it! Well we got there and were totally shocked!! Nothing happened! It was nuts! We were so shocked! The only thing that happened was a banana tree had fallen and they were able to collect the bananas for eating for the next week or so!! She started to cry and told us it was because she attended church the sunday before! And that she was praying the whole time! All her kids were safe, they are all pretty little but all were safe and it was such a blessing to see that! Of course they dont have lights or water but she said that is pretty normal for them and they will be fine!! We were so excited!!! We followed up with all our people and really they were all alright and not too much damage to their houses! Heavenly Father really was looking out for all the people and it is really true that when we do what is right, he will bless us! 
The rest of the week we were just out and trying to help with all that we could! We got hit hard but it wasnt as bad as it could have been! I was grateful for that! It is pretty inconvenient living without water and lights but you kind of get used to it! We have a candle in every room of our house and we have a little candle that we use for when we need to go to another room, so in a way it is like electricity! My arms are definitely getting toned up haha pumping water is a lot of work!! But seriously, I am humbled and really grateful for all that I have! The member have been really good to us and feeding us! Laundry is a little bit difficult but we get it done! You just make due with what you do have and amo na! Not to say that I wont be totally stoked to see that the lights came back on but I know that we go through trials to make us stronger! There are a lot of other people out there that got hit worse than we did I pray for them all the time!! But I love you all! Thanks for all the prayers! I miss you all! I am glad everyone there is healthy and happy! Dont worry about me, we are doing fine here! The work will continue to move forward!!! Have a good week! I think I will be emailing on monday, well hopefully!! If not, it is because we still dont have electricity!! MWAH!!!! Basi, pray for that!!! I would love you forever!!!!!
Love Sister S Polatis
me with Elder May and Elder Marble

Pumping water--this is what we do when no electricity

My investigator family safe!!! WOW  thought they would have nothing

1 casualty from the storm--poor coconut tree

With my training missionaries

sister training leaders

No comments:

Post a Comment