Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Hey Family! 
Here is the update on Ukraine situation from Presidents Hill email to us this week! ha I am one of the closest cities to Crimea--- all I would need to do was swim:) haha just joking! 
Update on Ukraine 
We have fielded a number of phone calls and emails from your worried parents who ask about your well being given the TV reports they’ve seen on the troubles in Ukraine.  Here’s a brief update.  Citizens of Crimea—that teardrop of land that sticks out of southern Ukraine into the Black Sea—voted last Sunday (in a process most western nations consider illegal) to leave Ukraine and become part of Russia. The West (the US and EU) imposed economic and travel sanctions on Russian and Crimean leaders and strongly urged Russia not to go any further in acquiring additional territory from Ukraine. Contrary to rumors floating around the mission, Moldova has NOT agreed to become part of Russia! In fact, Moldova is firmly moving towards European Union membership some day.  True, people in Transniestria (the eastern part of Moldova, capital Tiraspol) might have desires to follow the Crimeans and join Russia. However, that area is not recognized as a separate country by anyone and it has little to offer Russia in terms of strategic military or economic advantage. Experts think that such a change is unlikely. Church Security is well plugged into information sources around the world and will alert us to any upcoming dangerBottom line: Sleep well at night!
This week has been a lot of fun! Man never a boring week here in Galati! Some highlights:
- We met this sweet lady on the street! Her name was Lili and we were able to testify about the Book of Mormon and everything! She was so impressed by us and loved that we wore our name tags with pride! loved her instantly! I am excited to see what happens with her! 
-Sora Training Leaders came this week- Sora Kelly and Sora Rivera! ha I have been with these two Soras my whole mission! I love them. So it was really fun! I was with Sora Kelly- We meet a lot of cool people and ate at this random Chinese Restaurant. ha That is when the world seems crazy... Me sitting in middle of Romania at this decked out chinese restaurant ha but it was great! We had a good lesson with a less active that has cancer and we talked to her about doing family history so that she feels like she is still contributing even though she is really really sick- I love her! 
Friday was a crazy day!!!! ha so even if this letter is too long at least read this paragraph! So Sora Kelly was feeling sick so they didn't take the 5 am train but stayed another morning until the later train. So Sora Parker and I had a lesson! ... let me repeat that... We had a lesson!!! :) So we go to the church and we left the door unlocked behind us because Sora Kelly and Sora River were coming after us. So we have our lesson and it is with this 13 year old girl who is so so legit! She wants to be a better person. Her and her brother have been to church 2 weeks in a row now. So we had our lesson it was great! I am also teaching her piano lessons-- (look at me... the next norma rounds...) ha Well I had to run the keys up to the Sora Training Leaders and I look down the stairs and there is a RANDOM MAN in the church... I then hear him open the door to walk out so I look outside and he has STOLEN  a painting off the wall of the church. I run back in and in Romanian say that someone just stole something.. well this 13 year old investigator says "WHAT!" and then she starts RUNNING after him! ha she runs the corner and then we didn't see her for like 2 min... She then turns the corner and she has a big smile on her face with the picture in hand!!! ha I asked her what happened and she said that she said "um excuse me sir but that belongs to my church." He lied and said he found it outside... Well She then just told him to give it back to her! ha She is so so cool! She then told us to be careful because there is creepy people out there! I told her we pray everyday for safety! 
- Then we got some food with the Soras and as we were walking back to this church this man starts following us... he then stops at the front of the church and tells us to unlock it... I just said... "no how can we help you..." He then goes on and on about how he knows EVERYTHING about our church. I am kind of getting a smarty approach with people like this. I then say "O you know EVERYTHING?" We were really annoyed because he was just mad that the King James version of the Bible is not in Romanian. Then about how the Bible is better then the Book of Mormon. Well nothing makes me more annoyed than people putting down the Book of Mormon. So I testified that the Book of Mormon is true. And then we just had to tell him to leave us alone. I get annoyed with people who only want to argue.  (and our food was getting cold... haha) 
-  We then had another lesson- super cool ... I know! Well it ends up being in this super super sketchy part of Galati... I was so uncomfortable! I just said we are making this lesson 30 min and then we are out of here. Well we were waiting outside the block and this little kid comes out and I am not even kidding he is probably 6 years old with his buddy they start pointing out to us- and he said "are you pocaiti!" Which direst translation is repenters... But it has bad connotation here- I just started laughing... literally this little kid was five and was speaking to me as an old man.. he asked why I was wearing earring... (I am guessing they have learned that we don't wear earring?) i just started messing with him and said... "what don't you like my earrings?" ha he said no and walked away! I had to laugh.. I am not sure where it came from... but then we walked into our block for the lesson and she had a note on the door to come back at 8:30 that night... that was not happening... We will see if she can meet us at the church next time! 
- Saturday was a lot of fun! We had english. When I was in constanta last summer I met these two really cool girls but they were from Galati. So I had referred them to Galati and then when I got here and got a hold of them. Well they came to English and they were so excited to see me.. it actually made me laugh because I don't remember saying much to them in constanta but they came in and gave me big hugs and kisses! ha then after class I asked them if they wanted to have a lesson right then.. they said YES! So we had a great lesson about the Book of Mormon. The young girls talk so fast though.. ha it was funny. But they really ended up not being too interested. They have a really great family and they are really really active orthodox family. So they have great potential but it might be a little slower! I will for sure keep meeting with them! they would be the perfect members!! it was just super cool to see them because as I missionary we are here to love the people and they helped me feel like a success because they knew I loved them. 
 Sorry I have been slacking on the pictures... it is just easier to not send them.. ha when I get home I will upload all the ones from this transfer. Well you guys are great! Keep going and keep rocking it! Church is true. Don't worry about me over here. I know that God will protect us missionaries. They will pull us out if they need to. Thank you for all the prayers and support! have a great week! va iubesc - Sora Abby Polatis 

No comments:

Post a Comment