Tuesday, March 26, 2013

First Baptisms!!!

Well what a fabulous week! We have found some new investigators and got all the ones we had ready for the big baptism. My first baptismal experience was awesome! We baptized Jan Mark (MakMak) he is 10 years old and oh man he was so so excited he kept asking Sister Arnold when we could start! His dad baptized him and hopefully it really strengthen them both. Next was Bro Jose Raffols, I dont have a picture because my camera died and I don't have a charger. But he was so awesome! What a legit guy! He is in is 60's! He was a member of a different religion and in his religion he was as high up like as a stake president for us! But he just decided that he didn't want that anymore and he was always keeping the commitments that we gave and He actually showed up at the church like an hour before his baptism because he was so ready! He kept saying, "I can die now" In my broken Ilonggo I kept saying no, you are just reborn, you need to continue living and he would just laugh! He is way cool! I teared up a little bit when he went under and came up and just had a huge smile on his face! One of the recent converts we had, Bro. Bylosis wanted to sing at the baptism but he wanted to sing 3 songs but I talked him down to one song, "I am a child of God" Um, he did fine! We had to practice a couple time but he wanted me to sing with him while I played but I wanted him to be confident and do it alone and he did just fine. But next week we have Sister Hermania, She is ready! Such a great testimony! Her situation is different so President Lopez came and interviewed her and he told us after that he was so impressed with her testimony and he was happy with our teaching!!!!!:) Big MakMak, he is 16 and he just has so many friends and he comes to church, he doesn't understand me but whenever I laugh he laughs so maybe he thinks I am funny! Jenboi, he is 16 as well and he is friends with Big MakMak, he always asks "Sister Polatis when will you be able to speak to us" I just laugh and say to pray for me and whenever the Lord decides hahaha that is the best that I can come up with. So to answer the question about language, I struggle....., BUT it will come! It is really broken and I cant quite remember to put the verb first when I speak and understanding is coming better but It is all good! One day!!!! We do language study and some things stick and some take so much work but FAITH! That is what it is all about! Dedication and diligence in my speaking! I need to stop being such a perfectionist and realize that things are hard sometimes and I cant just give up like I am used to doing! But zone conference was awesome! We learned a lot about the importance of teaching the commandments. It all comes back to their testimony of Joseph Smith, if they don;t believe in him or have a testimony of him they wont follow the council that he gives. So we did some practice teaching and asking inspired questions. The one that we assigned was scripture study. You really really need to study everyday! It is the second that you stop that Satan gets you. Sister Arnold and her previous companion had an Investigator who was an investigator for years and he finally was baptized. But he had problems with smoking. He overcame that and was able to be baptized. But he got a job and was so busy/ tired that he slacked in his scripture reading. We followed up with him and he admitted to us that he smoked again, only 2 sticks but still he smoked. He asked about his reading and he said he wasn't doing it. So we committed him to read and the next week when we followed up with him he said that when he would get the desire to smoke he would read, OH MY WORD! It is true!!! He needed the Lord but why would the Lord help him when he wasn't doing the little things that show our faith in him. Anyways it was really an eye opener that goes to show the little things are there for a reason. He has stopped his smoking and is feeling better than ever! DO THE LITTLE THINGS!!  It was nice to see President and Sister Lopez. He really is a funny guy, he says things kind of jokingly but he means business. I really like him!   Our musical fireside is on Sunday, so I will tell you how that goes, every time we practice I pray so hard that my fingers will work and that I can play it so people can actually sing to it. Sister Arnold and I have made it half way but to be honest we love it and want 3 transfers together. We really are seeing success and we want to continue seeing it. Plus who would get all our dumb jokes. We are so much alike but different so it works. Tate sounds like he is doing really well.  Sam and Maddy I never hear from you but good luck with everything and be good. "be thou an example of the believers~ ALWAYS!!  Oh I almost forgot. It is HOLY WEEK in the Philippines this week!  People going around asking for donations from all the different churches and I guess this week there will be people going around dressed as the 12 apostles (like from Jesus time IDK how you do that but it will be interesting to see and I will tell you if I see anything next week) But they go around asking for money and they preach but on Friday they actually CRUCIFY someone!!! WHAT!!!!!!! it is insanity. It is in our area so maybe we will see it but we are supposed to just go about our business as normal and not draw attention to ourselves. But nasty huh. I had to chuckle to think, yes I love my savior and am so grateful for what he did for me, but IDK if I would volunteer for the part of his life when he dies. The members said that they drive the spikes in peoples hands where it will do the least damage but seriously I think that driving a spike into any part of the hand is damaging haha but that is just me. So if basi (perhaps) we are walking by it we will see it! Sketch huh! But Different culture I guess. But I love you all! I think about you all everyday and am so grateful for all the love and support that you give me. You really are the best. Tell everyone hi for me! Tell grandma Polatis thanks for the money! I am sure I will use it wisely. Tell them to stay strong! But this next week will be a good one as well! I am pretty excited for Saturday again, not going to lie! The spirit was so strong and i LOVED IT!!!  I am starting to get a little bit of a tan which is nice, I was pretty pasty! Today we are going out to central market again! Everything is so cheap, we never really buy but it is fun to look for when we actually go home we will be able to buy sweet stuff! I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!!!! Miss you lots! Be good and be safe! Keep the letters coming!!! I always feel like the luckiest girl around when I open my email and see new mail! BLESSINGS!!!!! 
 Trust in the lord! 



Sister Blake (going home), Sister Arnold and me

Wanting me to come back and run this thing!!

Eating BBQ Potatoes--(Not like IDAHO ones!!)

my Zone

Baptism of Little Mak Mak--He is 10

No comments:

Post a Comment