Monday, February 11, 2013

Chasing whales in Romania--OFF to PHILIPPINES




Abby:
Draga Familia! Ce mai faciti? (How are you all doing?) :) Well things are going pretty good here! I can't believe I have been here for one month! Time really is flying by! We have transfers next week and then another transfer 4 weeks later because we are trying to match up with the new schedules at the MTC... But I guess our mission isn't growing so our numbers are going to stay the same:) As a district we were all trying to make guesses of who is getting transferred... I thought for sure I would stay here but some people are putting guesses that I will be getting transferred so we will see! I will let you know next Monday what is happening! I really like it here though!
 First off I have a funny story.. you guys might make fun of me but ya here it goes... so I was kind of having a rough day last monday... So I was just trying to figure some stuff out and I was pondering looking out to the Black sea from our apartment. I looked off into the distance and seriously thought that I saw WHALES! ( I didnt know at the time that there isnt whales in the black sea... just dolphins... ha) So I yell to my companion.. "Whales... we have to run our there and take a picture with them!! She looked out the window not super convinced that it was whales... but she saw how excited I was and determined that it was whales... she agreed to go! So we get our cameras and start running outside along the beach! The "Whales" were a lot further than they looked.. so after we are sprinting for like hmmmm 25minutes along the beach we get to the place! AND..... yep just waves.... but honestly they looked like whale tales... I was so convinced... We just started busting up laughing... I mean I am 21 years old and chasing after waves... but it put a big smile on my face and we still took pictures with the waves:) So that was pretty funny... and then that night we taught a family FHE about how to do missionary work. Ok so anyways.. :) We have been working a lot with members in the branch because the branch is pretty small and we are working hard to get them to be reunited and excited about missionary work. Some people in the ward don't even tell their friends that they are members of the church... so we are trying to get them wanting the blessings of sharing the gospel. Some of the people that we are teaching include a lady named Roxanna... she speaks really good English so we went on a walk around the park.. She loves us and really likes to be with us.. her life is crazy with all sorts of stories but hopefully this week we can get her reading the Book of Mormon! We can tell that she is looking for something in life. She worked on a cruise line in Florida for a while and she was like... Ï love Americans! They are so nice.. I just don't like that you guys can have guns... ha (I didn't mention that we are one of those families) But she seems really nice so we will see how it goes! Our German girls dropped us.. Bummer but its ok.. She went on her trip and we have tried calling her and texting her and she doesn't respond- But thats ok! It happens! Also the Guy that we were teaching in the ward doesn't really want to change his life so he wont be getting baptized...he said he knows the church is true its just not for Him. I think that later down on the road he will realize how much the gospel will bless his family and he will join them in the gospel! We started teaching the lady at the library English and she said we could teach her a spiritual message next time we come and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE her! She is the sweetest lady ever! When she is trying to learn English she is just like (nu pot.. .nu pot) I cant... I cant... I looked at her and I was like Ïf I can learn Romanian then we can for sure teach you English... She just starting laughing and was like - You are so cute.. and of course you are going to learn Romanian because you are living in this country! But she is super super cool so I hope that everything goes well with her:) We meet with her on Wednesday so we will see how it goes! We also started teaching this Women and her son English and we gave them the Book of Mormon and we will be meeting with them this week! She already started reading the Book of Mormon and she seems really interested so we are excited to teach them! I remember thinking how cool is was that the missionaries taught the Butikoer family I am a child of God and how much they have used that since they have been back home... I decided to give back to this area and I am teaching Elena... who is one of the recent converts her favorite Hymn... and I am also teaching that family 2 of their favorite hymns! Mom I will look on that website and see if I can order the books for them here.. I will let you know for sure:) But ya its good.. the family has there own keyboard so I color coded some music and I will color coordinate the piano with it and we will see how it goes! The girl Elena though... she got baptized like 3 days before I got here and she is so so cool! the gospel has blessed her life so much! She is what all of us need to be.. in class when they ask who wants to give the prayer she jumps right up because she is so excited! She loves the gospel it has changed her life! She is doing personal progress and so my companion and I have decided to do it with her:) Now I can get another necklace when I get home haha... But everything really is going well there is a lot to do in this area! We have less active to bring back to the church.. people who are offended... So we will keep busy! We had a great planning session last night and I think that things are really going to start picking up! We thought of some good contacting ideas and I am excited to be here! I started reading through the Book of Mormon, which is amazing by the way.. I recommend everyone to read it every single day! It is the word of God which we need to be steadfastly clinging to at all times! But ok so in 1 Nephi 17:21 it is talking about how Laman and Lemuel are mad because they were complaining about all of the sufferings that they have had in the wilderness there were talking about how it would have been better if they were back with all of their possesions and it said, "we might have been happy." Well as I continued on reading in 2 Nephi 5:27 It is now Nephi and his family following all the commandments and living the way God wants them to and it says, Änd it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." Thats the key... Laman and Lemuel could have been happy if they were obedient to the Lord. It is so crazy because it is repeated over and over in the Book of Mormon.. "Keep the commandments and you will prosper." I just thought that this was a really amazing thing for me personally because I have to truly commit to the people here in Romania- I am where the Lord wants me to be- I will find great joy and happiness in the service of my God - I just have to let it happen and not be thinking about back home or anything else.. If I am focused on the work I will be happy! I think that this is a great lesson to learn for life in General... I want to come home and I really want to find myself always being happy and loving every day that God has blessed me with. We have the gospel in our lives.. we should be the happiest people on this planet! I know that this gospel is true! it is... there is no way that any of it could be false! the scriptures make so much sense... I feel priviledged to be able to serve the people in Romanian.. I might not get 1000 baptisms but I am called her for a reason... That reason is to love the people in Romania with all my might heart and strength. I am not perfect but I really am trying harder everyday to be better! The language sometimes does bother me but I am working on a study plan that will help me and that new convert Elena says that she will help me! I will teach her piano and then in return she will speak with me.. I know that it will come... We have to struggle that we will be humble and allow God to help us. But yes.. I am learning a lot on this mission... Even being out here for 3 months has changed my perspective on a lot of different things! So I am thankful to be here!
Thank you everyone for writing me! I appreciate all the love and support that I recieve! I recieved the Dear Elders from everyone last Thursday when my Zone leaders came to Constanta! I loved it! Grandma Rounds you are pretty good with all the technology:) ha . Maddy I have a couple Romanian girls that want to be my friend on Facebook... Will you add them.. they want to see all my pictures... ha it should be anca elena and andrea...  And its also funny because no one can say my name right here... not even the English elders so I am going to have a tag made spelled like "Pălaidăs" ha pretty cool huh... we will see if the office Elders will get it made for me! He owes me for giving him some medical advice anyways.. But o ya as far as nursing goes.. I dont really do much but I still do have people call me on occasion and ask what they should do so its pretty cool! I like it!  That is so so cool about Shaylee Jacobs!!! tell her congratulations from me!!! :)  Here is so nice its like spring most days... I love it! Constanta is the best for that reason! President and Sora Hill are coming this weekend to our district so it will be fun to see them here! Everything is good! missionary work is the best thing in the world! When I get home I will for sure have patience and diligence mastered:)  Thanks for everything! o ya and the verb to kiss on the cheek is a pupa... so if if I was going to say kisses to all of you guys its "va pup" ha and the u makes an oo sound... ha I thought you guys would think that was funny! So va pup!!! va iubesc!!!! no regrete:)
dragostea, Sora Abby Polatis
ps... my companion was singing in the general conference when I decided I was going on a mission... She thought that it was destiny:) haha It looks like it was! She is a good trainer and I am learning a lot from her! She wants me to succeed so we are doing good working together! I hope we stay together next transfer!

Sarah:
So I will be calling you soon so I dont wanna write too soon! Yes, it is only 4:30 in the MORNING!!! HAHA sister Ili l left this morning-- IT was pretty weird saying "goodbye! Cant wait to talk to you!!! Love you all! 

Love Sarah


Valentine treat for all to share!!
Last pic with Sister Illi

Oh boy, super fun district;)




my district--I will miss them!

My buddy, my pal--Kaden!


Laundry room friends


Learning the piano the Romanian way




No comments:

Post a Comment